hit and run car

What Happens If I Suffer From a Hit and Run?

Get car insurance information here

The Aftermath of a Hit and Run: A Traumatic Experience

There's no underestimating the shock and stress that follows a hit and run incident. Beyond the immediate concerns for safety and wellbeing, understanding the legal and insurance ramifications is paramount for every UK driver.

First Responses and Immediate Steps

Personal Safety First: Before delving into any procedural measures, it's essential to ensure that you and any other occupants of your vehicle are safe. If it's possible and safe to do so, moving to a secure location, away from the flow of traffic, should be a priority.

Documenting the Scene: Once in a secure position, if you can, gather evidence. Use your mobile phone to capture photographs of the immediate scene, the damages to your car, and any distinguishing landmarks or signs. These can be of considerable help later, especially in supporting any insurance or legal claims.

Witness Details: Witnesses can play a significant role in corroborating your account of the incident. If there are any present, and they are willing, collect their contact details. Their perspective might prove invaluable, especially if the offending driver remains unidentified.

Navigating the Insurance Landscape

Insurance implications, following a hit and run, can be intricate, but understanding them can simplify the process of making claims.

Uninsured Drivers' Agreement: In the unfortunate scenario where the driver responsible either is not insured or remains unidentified, victims can approach the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) under the Uninsured Drivers' Agreement. The MIB's purpose is to act as a safety net, providing compensation for victims. However, it's worth noting that the MIB has specific criteria and conditions that need to be met.

Comprehensive Car Insurance: For individuals with a comprehensive car insurance policy in place, the aftermath is slightly more straightforward. Such policies typically provide compensation for the damages to your vehicle, regardless of the offending driver's status. However, a claim might have an impact on your no-claims bonus, unless you've taken measures to protect it.

Third-party Insurance: For those with only third-party insurance, matters become more intricate. While this type of insurance won't typically compensate you for a hit and run, the MIB remains a potential avenue for compensation.

The Role of Law Enforcement

Reporting the incident to the police promptly is not just advisable but often a requirement. Ideally, this should be done within 24 hours. A police report can significantly assist in the process of claiming insurance. Additionally, it kickstarts the process of the authorities attempting to locate and prosecute the hit and run offender, ensuring they face appropriate legal consequences.

Physical and Emotional Toll of a Hit and Run

Beyond the evident vehicle damage and navigating the insurance maze, it's important to recognise the potential emotional and physical implications. Such incidents can leave victims in considerable distress, with feelings of vulnerability, anger, and anxiety.

Physical Health: It's paramount to seek medical attention immediately following the incident, even if you feel fine. Some injuries, especially those related to trauma, may not manifest immediately. Having a medical record documenting any injuries can also assist in insurance claims or potential legal proceedings.

Emotional Wellbeing: It's equally essential to monitor your emotional health. Such traumatic events can lead to conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Consulting with professionals or support groups can help in coping and healing.


A hit and run incident can be a deeply unsettling experience, entailing both emotional trauma and the perplexities of the insurance world. However, with a clear understanding of the steps to take and the insurance landscape in the UK, victims can navigate this difficult period with clarity and purpose.

Note: This article offers general advice and may not cover specific situations. Always consult with a professional or your policy documentation for detailed guidance.

Get car insurance information here

Liability Insurance       Cyber Insurance     Courier Insurance     Liability Insurance      

What happens if ...

my flight is delayed?     my greenhouse is damaged in a storm?     my heir dies before me?     my holiday caravan gets damaged?     my holiday is cancelled?     my home is burgled?     my landlord is not insured?     my tenant defaults on the rent?     my insurer goes bankrupt?     I put wrong information on an application form?     I drive without insurance?     I forget to renew my pet insurance?     I have a car accident abroad?     I have a foreign no claims bonus?     I am injured in a rented car?     I change jobs and lose health insurance?     I make a claim for subsidence?     I make a home insurance claim from abroad?     I miss a car insurance payment?     my business suffers from an unexpected event?     my home suffers from flood damage?     I let my home insurance lapse?     my pet causes an accident?     I have no liability insurance?     I underestimated the value of my home contents?     I get a critical illness?     I get food poisoning abroad?     I have a pre-existing medical condition?     I hit a pedestrian in my car?     I lose my travel documents?     I lose my mobile phone?     I am injured at work?     I need surgery abroad?     I rent my house on airbnb?     I use my car for business?     my business is sued?     my car is vandalised?     my child is ill abroad?     my computer is hacked?     I forget to inform insurers of convictions?     I am involved in a hit and run event?     I cancel my insurance early?     I fail to declare car modifications?     I have an accident in a rented vehicle?     my tenant damages my property?     I cancel my holiday at the last minute?     I accidentally damage another person's property?     I rent my car out?     I buy a car with outstanding finance?     A tree falls on my property?