house damaged by fallen tree

What Happens If I Need to Claim for a Tree Falling on My Property?

Get home insurance information here

The Unfortunate Event of a Tree Falling

Whether it's due to adverse weather conditions or the simple aging of a tree, these natural giants can sometimes fall, causing damage to properties. For homeowners in the UK, it's essential to understand the insurance implications and processes to follow when faced with such an incident.

Immediate Actions to Take

When a tree falls on your property, the initial moments can be overwhelming. Here's a structured approach to help you manage the situation:

1. Safety First: Ensure everyone in the household is safe. Evacuate the property if necessary, and refrain from attempting to remove the tree yourself, especially if it's entangled with power lines or if structural damage is evident.

2. Document the Scene: Capture clear photographs of the fallen tree and any damage it has caused. This will be essential for insurance purposes and for any potential disputes.

3. Notify Relevant Authorities: If the tree has blocked a public road or is posing an immediate threat to safety, inform the local council or emergency services.

Understanding Your Insurance Position

Insurance plays a central role in managing the fallout from a tree falling on your property. Understanding the terms of your policy is key.

1. Buildings Insurance: Most UK buildings insurance policies will cover the costs of repairs to the structure of your home if a tree falls on it. This includes walls, windows, roofs, and often fences or outbuildings. The policy might also cover the cost of removing the tree from your property.

2. Contents Insurance: If the fallen tree damages items inside your home, such as furniture or electronics, these would typically be claimed under your contents insurance. However, it's essential to check the specific terms of your policy.

3. Liability Aspect: If a tree on your property falls and causes damage to a neighbour's home, your insurance might be liable to cover their repair costs, especially if it can be proven that negligence (like not addressing disease or decay) was a factor. Conversely, if a neighbour's tree falls on your property, their insurance might cover your damages.

Filing an Insurance Claim

When you decide to claim, following the correct procedure can make the process smoother.

1. Contact Your Insurer: Inform your insurance company about the incident as soon as possible. They'll guide you through the claim process, advising you on the information and documentation required.

2. Provide Necessary Documentation: Submit the photographs you took of the damage, along with any other relevant documents, like reports from tree surgeons or builders.

3. Be Prepared for Assessments: Insurance companies often send an assessor or surveyor to inspect the damage firsthand. They'll determine the extent of the damage and the necessary repairs.

4. Understand Excess and Payouts: Be aware of the excess on your policy – the amount you'll need to contribute towards the claim. Once approved, the insurance company will either make a payout or pay the contractors directly for repair work.

Preventative Measures for the Future

Whilst nature can be unpredictable, homeowners can take certain steps to minimise risks.

1. Regular Tree Maintenance: Engage tree surgeons to regularly inspect and maintain trees on your property. They can identify potential risks and recommend necessary actions.

2. Review Your Insurance Policy: Ensure your insurance policy remains up-to-date with the value of your home and its contents. It's also a good practice to regularly review your policy's terms to ensure you have comprehensive protection.


Dealing with the aftermath of a tree falling on your property can be distressing. However, by understanding the insurance implications and procedures involved, homeowners in the UK can navigate these incidents more effectively. Safety should always be the priority, followed by a structured approach to address damages and claim processes.

Note: This article offers general advice and may not cover specific situations. Always consult with a professional or your policy documentation for detailed guidance.

Get home insurance information here

Liability Insurance       Cyber Insurance     Courier Insurance     Liability Insurance      

What happens if ...

my flight is delayed?     my greenhouse is damaged in a storm?     my heir dies before me?     my holiday caravan gets damaged?     my holiday is cancelled?     my home is burgled?     my landlord is not insured?     my tenant defaults on the rent?     my insurer goes bankrupt?     I put wrong information on an application form?     I drive without insurance?     I forget to renew my pet insurance?     I have a car accident abroad?     I have a foreign no claims bonus?     I am injured in a rented car?     I change jobs and lose health insurance?     I make a claim for subsidence?     I make a home insurance claim from abroad?     I miss a car insurance payment?     my business suffers from an unexpected event?     my home suffers from flood damage?     I let my home insurance lapse?     my pet causes an accident?     I have no liability insurance?     I underestimated the value of my home contents?     I get a critical illness?     I get food poisoning abroad?     I have a pre-existing medical condition?     I hit a pedestrian in my car?     I lose my travel documents?     I lose my mobile phone?     I am injured at work?     I need surgery abroad?     I rent my house on airbnb?     I use my car for business?     my business is sued?     my car is vandalised?     my child is ill abroad?     my computer is hacked?     I forget to inform insurers of convictions?     I am involved in a hit and run event?     I cancel my insurance early?     I fail to declare car modifications?     I have an accident in a rented vehicle?     my tenant damages my property?     I cancel my holiday at the last minute?     I accidentally damage another person's property?     I rent my car out?     I buy a car with outstanding finance?     A tree falls on my property?