insurance agreement

What Happens If My Child Gets Sick Overseas?

Get more insurance information here

The Initial Response

Experiencing illness in a foreign country can be an unsettling experience, especially when it involves your child. Whilst the cultural, linguistic, and medical differences can be overwhelming, knowing the steps to take can provide some semblance of control and assurance.

Immediate Medical Attention: Ensure you get the necessary medical attention for your child straight away. Depending on the severity, this could mean visiting a local clinic, hospital, or pharmacy.

Documentation: Always keep a record of any medical treatments, medicines prescribed, and payments made. These documents can be essential when claiming against your travel or health insurance policy.

Understanding the Insurance Implications

One of the primary concerns for parents, when their child falls ill abroad, revolves around the financial aspects of overseas medical care and the role of insurance in mitigating these costs.

Travel Insurance: A comprehensive travel insurance policy usually provides benefits for medical emergencies abroad. Ensure you notify your insurer as soon as possible about any medical treatment, as some policies might have stipulations about notifying them within a specific timeframe.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC): If you're travelling within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, the EHIC allows you to access healthcare services at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. However, post-Brexit changes may affect the functionality of EHIC, so ensure you're up-to-date with the latest information.

Private Health Insurance: Some UK-based health insurance policies might offer limited overseas benefits. It's worth checking the terms of your policy before travelling.

Dealing with Language Barriers

Medical situations can become even more stressful when faced with language barriers. It's essential to navigate this obstacle efficiently to ensure the well-being of your child.

Translation Apps: Modern technology offers a range of translation apps that can assist in real-time translation, helping bridge the communication gap between you and healthcare providers.

Embassy or Consulate Assistance: In dire situations, the local UK embassy or consulate can provide assistance, including helping you communicate with medical professionals or pointing you towards English-speaking doctors.

Long-Term Medical Care Abroad

If your child's condition requires prolonged medical attention, it can pose additional complications. Accommodation, extending your stay, and even considering medical repatriation become factors to consider.

Medical Repatriation: In severe cases, you might want to consider having your child treated back in the UK. Some insurance policies offer repatriation services, but it's essential to understand the terms and conditions attached.

Extended Stay: If you decide to remain overseas whilst your child recovers, be prepared for the associated logistical and financial implications, from extended hotel stays to potential visa issues.

Mental and Emotional Support

Apart from the physical aspect of illness, the emotional turmoil of seeing your child sick in a foreign country can be significant. It's important to find support, whether from family, friends, or professionals.

Preventative Measures

Prevention is always better than cure. Before travelling, ensure your child is up-to-date with vaccinations relevant to the destination. Moreover, familiarise yourself with common health risks in the region and take appropriate precautions.


Facing a medical emergency abroad can be daunting, especially when it's your child who is unwell. However, with the right information, insurance arrangements, and support systems in place, you can navigate these challenging situations with more confidence and ensure the safety and well-being of your child.

Note: This article provides a general overview and might not capture individual situations. Always consult with relevant professionals or agencies when making decisions related to overseas medical emergencies.

Get more insurance information here

Liability Insurance       Cyber Insurance     Courier Insurance     Liability Insurance      

What happens if ...

my flight is delayed?     my greenhouse is damaged in a storm?     my heir dies before me?     my holiday caravan gets damaged?     my holiday is cancelled?     my home is burgled?     my landlord is not insured?     my tenant defaults on the rent?     my insurer goes bankrupt?     I put wrong information on an application form?     I drive without insurance?     I forget to renew my pet insurance?     I have a car accident abroad?     I have a foreign no claims bonus?     I am injured in a rented car?     I change jobs and lose health insurance?     I make a claim for subsidence?     I make a home insurance claim from abroad?     I miss a car insurance payment?     my business suffers from an unexpected event?     my home suffers from flood damage?     I let my home insurance lapse?     my pet causes an accident?     I have no liability insurance?     I underestimated the value of my home contents?     I get a critical illness?     I get food poisoning abroad?     I have a pre-existing medical condition?     I hit a pedestrian in my car?     I lose my travel documents?     I lose my mobile phone?     I am injured at work?     I need surgery abroad?     I rent my house on airbnb?     I use my car for business?     my business is sued?     my car is vandalised?     my child is ill abroad?     my computer is hacked?     I forget to inform insurers of convictions?     I am involved in a hit and run event?     I cancel my insurance early?     I fail to declare car modifications?     I have an accident in a rented vehicle?     my tenant damages my property?     I cancel my holiday at the last minute?     I accidentally damage another person's property?     I rent my car out?     I buy a car with outstanding finance?     A tree falls on my property?